DJs ready to keep Joining Hearts beating [audio]
That sound you hear getting louder is the buzz over Joining Hearts, gay Atlanta’s biggest summer party. DJs Seth Cooper and Mike Pope put the buzz to a beat and gave up downloadable previews of Saturday’s Piedmont Park pool party.
“For me, the songs and versions I selected really have a gay Pride/tea dance vibe to them,” Pope says. “I really wanted to capture a very vocal hands-in-the-air kind of feeling.”
Think big divas you’re on a first-name basis with – Gaga, Beyonce, JLo, Madonna, Kylie, Adele – mixed to flow together lyrically and energy-wise with lesser known but hot artists. Both DJs say that powerful vocals from classic anthems to new tracks are in the mix for Joining Hearts (top photo), which holds a special place for each of them with 100 percent of tickets and tips going to AID Atlanta and Jerusalem House.
“To be a part of something this big and to spin a party with a great cause is one of the best feelings in the world,” Cooper (second photo) says. “For me, the combination of spinning at this event and spinning in Atlanta is an opportunity of a lifetime. This is definitely something that I’ve been excited for all year long.”
Pope (third photo), the “resident” DJ at all of Joining Hearts fundraisers throughout the year as well as the main event, says that the organization has meant a lot to his career and has struck a chord with him personally.
“Those big checks we present every year directly impact people’s lives,” he says. (The checks totaled $125,000 last year.)
As for the music and some extra-special ear candy, Pope says to expect “don’t forget the surprise fireworks song!” Cooper says he has a private mashup to debut especially for the event.
“It helps add more of that unique experience and gives a new perspective to an older track,” Cooper says, hinting that he’ll also play a mashup edit of Tony Moran’s new track, “Tenderness” by Deborah Cox.
DJ Mike Pope’s Joining Hearts 24 Continuous Mix:
DJ Seth Cooper’s Joining Hearts 24 Preview:
But before the music fully cranks up, here’s the scoop on all of the pre- and post-pool events.
• Still need a ticket? The sold-out event still has a few VIP Patron and Sponsor passes as of Wednesday.
• Want to avoid long lines? There’s a Pass Holder Pickup Event at Outwrite on Thursday from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. The store will donate 10 percent of all sales during that time to Joining Hearts.
• Want to get amped early? The Joining Hearts Kickoff Party with DJ Joe Gauthreaux goes down Friday at the Heretic.
• Want to keep the Party going? The Joining Hearts Afterparty with DJ Tony Moran takes place Saturday night at Jungle.
• Want more? The hits just keep on coming at the Joining Hearts After Hours Party with DJ Paulo at Xion.
• Want recovery time on Sunday? Check out the Joining Hearts Recovery Party on Sunday.
blog comments powered by Disqus