Chaz Bono, gay Romney aide, Bill O’Reilly
Cher gives Chaz his GLAAD award, Romney’s new gay spokesperson riles far-right pundits, watch O’Reilly say “Glee” makes kids gay and trans, suspect in Marine-on-Marine stabbing used gay slur, cheating leads to gay murder-suicide, and more LGBT headlines.
• Mitt Romney’s gay hire catches ire of social conservatives. Former Bush aide Richard Grenell (top photo) is Romney’s new spokesperson for foreign policy. He wants to marry his partner of 10 years, which angers some conservatives, but the far-right is more worried about tweets Grenell scrubbed when hired.
• Gay student beaten at Illinois State. Eric Unger says he was attacked by five to eight men on his way home from a party near campus. He says they repeatedly hurled anti-gay slurs during the beating that left him with broken teeth and a fractured jaw.
• Gay love triangle leads to Brooklyn murder-suicide. Jason Lopez, 22, shot and killed Tory Curtis, 23, before taking his own life after finding Curtis with an unidentified third man.
• Cher, Chaz, Josh Hutcherson, Ellen, top GLAAD Awards. The Los Angeles iteration of the annual ceremony featured celebrity appearances like Cher presenting an award to her son (middle photo), as well as speeches by newsmakers like the parents of bullycide victim Jamey Rodemeyer and ousted lesbian den mother Jennifer Tyrrell.
• Jewish movement in Israel OKs gay rabbis. The Conservative Jewish Movement approved the ordination of gay men and lesbians to become rabbis, overcoming years of opposition by some of its own leaders and setting up another bone of contention with the nation’s Orthodox establishment
• Marine-on-Marine stabbing death started with anti-gay slur. A 20-year-old Marine in Washington, D.C. stands charged with second-degree murder in the death of a fellow service member during a fight that began with the accused calling the deceased a “faggot.”
• Teachers participate in troubled Minnesota district’s Day of Silence. The Minneapolis-area school district caught the national spotlight last year for its high suicide rate among LGBT teens. Trying to make changes, eight teachers and counselors were allowed to show their support for the annual demonstration (bottom photo) against LGBT bullying.
• Bill O’Reilly suggests “Glee” makes kids want to be gay and transgender. The Fox News host and guest talking head Gretchen Carlson supported each other’s laments that kids will experiment with homosexuality and cross-dressing, following celebrities who “do it on the side” because of “drug-fueled” binges. At least Jeanine Pirro was there to laugh at them. Watch:
Grennell photo via Huffington Post; Cher-Chaz photo by GLAAD; Day of Silence photo by Minneapolis Star-Tribune
blog comments powered by Disqus