‘Doesn’t Get Better,’ diver Mitcham, gay Scouts
Video to homophobes: “It Doesn’t Get Better,” Matthew Mitcham represents, Boy Scouts oust lesbian den mom, Tammy Lynn Michaels dishes on Melissa Etheridge, “Don’t Say Gay” bill resurfaces, anti-gay Michigan official denied, and more LGBT headlines.
• Boy Scouts dismiss Ohio den mother because she’s gay. Lesbian mom Jennifer Tyrrell (top photo with son) started a petition calling on the Boy Scouts of America to reverse its ban on gay youths and leaders.
• “Don’t Say Gay” bill again advancing in Tennessee House. The House education committee voted Tuesday in favor of the measure, which would ban teaching gay issues to elementary and middle school students. After a survey, the bill’s sponsor decided to move the bill even though it died once. A companion bill passed the state Senate last year.
• Gay Olympian Matthew Mitcham dives happily into rights fight. The defending Beijing gold medalist at London’s Summer Games (second photo) says he doesn’t see being a gay poster boy as a burden, in fact he likes lending his name to the cause. And he makes a hot Morning Fix. Twice.
• Gay staff sergeant returns to Air Force after DADT dismissal. Anthony Loverde was discharged under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in 2008. He returns to his old job in May.
• Tammy Lynn Michaels on ugly split with Melissa Etheridge. With a lawsuit pending to increase seven-fold the support check from lesbian rocker Etheridge (third photo, left) to her ex, actress Michaels (right) sets the record straight on her side of the breakup.
• Gays join protest of Neo Nazi rally at Kentucky statehouse. The Fairness Campaign, a fair employment and housing gay group, signed on for a Saturday protest against a rally of the Neo-Nazi National Socialist Movement at the state capitol.
• Ex Michigan state official likely to get jury trial for harassing gay student. A federal judge on Tuesday declined to dismiss the case against the state’s former assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell. Shirvell already lost his job for stalking and harassing the openly gay student president at the University of Michigan.
• “It Doesn’t Get Better” for homophobes. A sarcastic new video (bottom photo) from gay group FCKH8 wants homophobes to know that efforts against gay rights will end in defeat. “Sorry haters. It don’t get better.” Watch:
Tyrrell photo via Queerty; Mitcham photo by Sydney Morning Herald; Etheridge-Michaels photo from SheWired; “Doesn’t Get Better” still via YouTube
blog comments powered by Disqus