Elton v. Madonna, gay Starbucks day, hate crime
Gay icons’ war of words reignites, Atlanta lesbians spark two pro-gay business appreciation days, gay Montana man brutally beaten, gay man donates $1M toward Obama re-election, first GaymerCon is a go, trans healthcare, and more LGBT headlines.
• World’s first GaymerCon set for 2013. In the sometimes less-than-accepting world of online gaming, gay gamer Matt Conn (top photo) created the event geared toward LGBT video game aficionados. With $25,000 – and counting – donated via a Kickstarter campaign, organizers set the event for August 2013 in San Francisco.
• Happy National Marriage Equality Day, Starbucks! In reaction to last week’s Chick-fil-A day, Atlanta lesbian Kirsten Palladino of Equally Wed magazine kicked off the national campaign to have a drink at Starbucks on Tuesday to back the company’s gay marriage support. Another Atlanta lesbian says Gay-loving Small Independent Business Day on Wednesday is a better idea.
• Gay benefactor gives $1M to re-elect Obama. Mel Heifetz, a 76-year-old longtime donor to LGBT causes, explains his giant contribution to Priorities USA, which goes directly to fighting Mitt Romney and helping the president’s campaign. “Do I think that that $1,000,000 was wisely spent? Yes, I do. Do I want everyone to do what they can to help President Obama win? Yes, I do.”
• Icon vs. icon: Elton John disses Madonna. It’s been coming ever since Madonna (middle photo, left) beat out Elton (right) for a Best Song Golden Globe. Now John calls Madonna a “fairground stripper” whose “career is over” with a tour that’s tanking. It “couldn’t happen to a bigger cunt,” John says. Oh no she didn’t! Oh yes she did!
• Tennessee Dems renounce anti-gay Senate candidate. Wingnut conspiracy theorist Mark Clayton won his Democratic primary last week to the shock of just about everyone. The state party distanced itself immediately from Clayton after the win, citing his anti-gay hate and belief that Google is in cahoots with the Chinese government to bring on a “godless new world order.”
• Yes, ObamaCare prohibits trans bias. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services clarifies for inquiring LGBT groups that the 2010 health care reform law’s provision banning sex discrimination covers discrimination against transgender and gender-nonconforming people.
• Anti-gay attackers brutalize Montana gay man on his birthday. Outside a club in Missoula, Mont., at least three people yelled “faggot” and other gay slurs while kicking and beating a 22-year-old victim identified only as “Joseph” (bottom photo). In response, activists are planning a gay pub crawl in the area. Police are investigating the incident as a misdemeanor.
• The bonding of straight women and gay men. One writer takes his own story of his bestie and expands it to explore the reasons why so many “Wills” need a “Grace” and vice-versa.
Conn photo by VentureBeat; Madonna-Elton photos via Gawker; crime photos via Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus