Bullied Iowa teen takes own life over death threats, group tries to reach male sexual abuse survivors, Heidi’s gay blowjob advisors, this day in fear-mongering zealot videos, North Carolina marriage at fever pitch, Chaz Bono grand marshal, and more LGBT headlines.
• Gay Iowa teen bullied to death. Kenneth James Weishuhn (top photo), 14, took his own life Saturday. Police are investigating allegations that Weishuhn received death threats via text and Facebook after coming out just two weeks ago. His 16-year-old sister made a tribute video.
• “1 In 6” tries to reach male victims of child sex abuse. Adult survivors are reluctant to even admit it, much less deal with increased risk of psychological and behavioral issues. “1 In 6” partners with social service agencies to find and help them, including a large number of gay and bisexual men.
• Gay men taught Heidi Klum how to give blowjobs. “They are like this kaleidoscope of interesting thoughts and opinions. They teach you so many things about men that are useful,” the “Project Runway” producer and host says in the upcoming Allure magazine cover story (middle photo).
• Both sides mobilize over North Carolina marriage amendment. Activists, religious institutions, city governments and big business are all taking sides on the state’s proposed gay marriage ban as voters prep for the May 8 ballot box.
• Gay Naval Academy alumni dinner celebrates first out graduate. The annual USNA Out dinner on Saturday was a landmark for the gay alumni group. With the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” more LGBT alums showed up, and it was their first dinner with an out gay graduate as guest of honor.
• Bisexual in a gay/straight world. Author A.J. Walkley breaks down the stereotypes, myths and truths of life as a bisexual and prejudice from both gays and straights.
• Chaz Bono headlines Miami Beach Pride Parade. “The city of Miami Beach has done an amazing job of welcoming me,” Bono (bottom photo) said after riding in Sunday’s parade of thousands.
• Gays are the “moral iceberg” in ministry’s Titanic metaphor. Members of Truth In Action Ministries put together this fear-mongering video, including that “there are just a couple steps before the military could be used in a persecution of those that are viewed as enemies of the new state belief system.” Watch:
Weishuhn photo via YouTube; Klum photo by Norman Jean Roy for Allure; Bono photo by AP