‘Glee,’ gay vampire slayer, ‘Go-go for Obama’
‘Glee’ season premiere video finds Kate Hudson mashing Lady Gaga and JLo, “Buffy” debuts first gay male slayer, gay dive bar throws raucous Obama fundraiser, amicus briefs against DOMA for lesbian widow, Zac Efron strips for gay director Lee Daniels, and more LGBT headlines.
• Zac Efron talks going commando in first gay interview. The heartthrob (top photo) sits down with a gay reporter for the first time to discuss his support of marriage equality, what he thinks of gay rumors about him, and stripping to his skivvies in gay director Lee Daniels’ new movie “The Paperboy.”
• Gay couple sues diocese for nixing house sale. James Fairbanks and Alain Beret bid to buy a Massachusetts mansion estate to house their wedding retreat business. The Catholic diocese that owns it won’t sell in disapproval of gay weddings. The couple filed a discrimination lawsuit.
• Military professors: DADT repeal works. The first academic study of the effects of repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” finds that allowing openly gay soldiers has had no negative impact on readiness, cohesion, recruitment, retention or morale.
• Meet “Buffy” comic’s new gay male vampire slayer. After the famous TV show ended, Dark Horse Comics picked up the story and expanded it in graphic novel form. Now new character Billy (middle photo) is set to become not just the series’ first male slayer, but a gay one to boot.
• New York City gay bar’s “Go-go for Obama.” East Village dive bar Eastern Bloc charged about 150 people a minimum of $100 each to pack the little dive on Saturday for drinks, go-go boys, celebs and fashion to raise money for the president’s re-election campaign. The event raised between $10,000 and $20,000, according to organizers. That’s the bar owned by Anderson Cooper’s manfriend, Benjamin Maisani. At least they were boyfriends before Maisani did this in a public park.
• Pro-gay Baltimore Raven thanks anti-gay Maryland legislator. Linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo’s vocal support of gay marriage prompted a lawmaker to demand the team make the player dial back the rhetoric. Ayanbadejo says the scuttlebutt helps put a national spotlight to the issue. Minnesota Viking Chris Kluwe was more direct in slamming the lawmaker. The Maryland delegate backtracked his critique.
• Three states file amicus brief against DOMA. State officials in New York, Connecticut and Vermont – all of which offer legal gay marriages – say that the feds had no right to “unmarry” a lesbian couple by demanding a surviving spouse pay estate taxes not required of married partners.
• Kate Hudson’s Gaga-JLo mashup for “Glee” season premiere. The guilty-pleasure series returns to Fox on Sept. 13. The actress (bottom photo) debuts her character with Lady Gaga’s “Americano” mashed with Jennifer Lopez’s “Dance Again.” That ought to keep gay fans happy. Watch:
Efron photo via Advocate; “Buffy” frame from Dark Horse Comics; “Glee” still from Fox
blog comments powered by Disqus