Lady Gaga, gay ‘Kotter’ death, REI support
Gay PETA exec is mad at Gaga’s fur coat, Ron “Horschack” Palillo found dead by longtime male partner, outdoors retailer REI backs gay marriage, Adam Levine expands his gay support, openly gay candidate elections and races, and more LGBT headlines.
• Arizona dads with 12 kids make it official. Due to laws in Arizona where Stephen and Roger live with their adopted kids (top photo), only Stephen was the legal dad on 10 of the birth certificates. Not anymore. On Monday, an attorney in Washington state got Roger’s name added to all the paperwork in a re-adoption.
• Retailer REI backs gay marriage. In this day of corporate positions on social and political issues, the outdoorsy chain pitches its tent on the gay side. Negative reactions from opposing forces are already in motion, naturally.
• Gay “Welcome Back Kotter” actor dies at 63. Ron Palillo (second photo), who played loveable loser Horschack on the ‘70s TV series, was found dead early on Tuesday morning by Joseph Gramm, his partner of many years.
• Democratic platform committee unanimously approves gay marriage plank. The draft that supports adding legal marriage rights for gay couples to the party platform easily passed committee on Tuesday. The full party votes on the final platform version at the DNC convention in September.
• Gay man poised to take Tammy Baldwin’s House seat. After a Tuesday primary win, Wisconsin state Rep. Mark Pocan is in the lead to win Baldwin’s U.S. House post as the lesbian candidate runs for Senate. If Pocan wins, the state’s 2nd Congressional District would be the first to elect two gay reps in a row. In her race, Baldwin is in a dead heat in the polls.
• PETA’s gay VP slams Lady Gaga for wearing fur. A recent furry outing by the singer (third photo) sent PETA Vice President Dan Matthews into a tizzy. Not just because Gaga once said she doesn’t wear fur, but because gay fans are animal rights advocates who consider the fashion choice an affront. Forget you, straight animal rights Gaga fans and gay fans who don’t care what she wears.
• Miami Beach elects Florida’s first openly gay state lawmaker. Until Tuesday, Florida was the largest state in the union to have never elected an openly gay candidate to its state legislature. Yes, even Texas. That all changed when voters elected David Richardson, an openly gay CPA, to the state House.
• Pastor found guilty in lesbian custody case. Kenneth Miller, a Mennonite pastor from Stuarts Draft, Va., was convicted Wednesday morning of helping a so-called “ex-gay” woman kidnap her daughter to prevent her lesbian ex from having custody that the court awarded. The woman and 10-year-old girl are still missing.
• Adam Levine is hot, er, supports gay marriage. The Maroon 5 singer (bottom photo) and “The Voice” coach expands on his statement that, if president for a day, the first thing he’d do is legalize gay marriage. Why it has little to do with his gay brother, plus what to expect in his acting debut on “American Horror Story.”
• Top 10 trans-friendly U.S. colleges and universities. For the first time, Campus Pride assembles a list after several recent strides for transgender policy changes at colleges. And no, not one of them is anywhere near the South.
Ham photo by ABC; Palillo photo via TMZ; Gaga photo from Daily Mail; Levine photo via Pride Source
blog comments powered by Disqus