Lady Gaga ‘View,’ Prop 8 TV, Miley’s gay tattoo
Gaga rocks gay marriage as guest daytime co-host, Prop 8 hearings to be televised, Miley Cyrus defends equality sign ink, IRS revokes “ex-gay” group’s exemption, gay Portland mayor won’t run, studying LGBT Mormons, and more LGBT headlines.
• American Heritage Dictionary names gay man top editor. Lexicographer Steve Kleinedler (top photo) on Monday was named the respected resource guide’s first openly gay executive editor after serving 14 years on its staff.
• Prop 8 hearings to be televised. Unlike the trial that declared California’s voter-approved gay marriage ban unconstitutional, the hearings beginning Sept. 6, which will decide whether anti-gay groups have the right to appeal the ruling, has been approved for a live-feed telecast.
• Lady Gaga talks gay marriage on “The View.” Appearing as a guest host on Monday’s installment of the talk show, the singer donned houndstooth everything (second photo) to discuss topics of the day with the gals and stole the show.
• Gay marriage remains awkward debate for GOP hopefuls. In the topsy-turvy world of politics, it’s not enough to be simply for it or against it. Growing support for gay unions among voters means a sticky wicket for the majority of Republicans who tend to avoid the topic unless asked.
• IRS revokes tax-exempt status for ex-gay group. The Americans For Truth About Homosexuality enjoyed a non-profit exemption until its leaders failed to file a series of required tax forms for three years running.
• Gay Portland mayor won’t seek re-election. Sam Adams (third photo) says that the fundraising and campaigning would be too time consuming and get in the way of his duties. Adams was dogged by controversy immediately after his 2008 election when he lied about a sexual relationship with a teenage aide.
• Study to examine experiences of LGBT Mormons. Some 1,000 people are sharing their stories with the Utah State University in a first-of-its kind research program “to provide a better description of how LGBT people function within the Mormon church.”
• Crimes against LGBTs up despite social gains. A report last month by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs found a marked increase in harassment, beatings and murders. Gains of acceptance lead to more, though still low, reporting by the victims as well as increased underground frustrations among the violators.
• Miley Cyrus gets inked in support of gay marriage. The kinda half-assed equality sign tattoo on her finger (bottom photo) sparked an angsty Twitter debate from fans preaching Bible objections, but the teen queen defended the tat: “All LOVE is equal.”
• Transgender housekeeper files discrimination suit after being fired. Anastacia St. Claire-Hannah claims that a Park Avenue couple that employed her with rave reviews abruptly fired her when they discovered that she is transgender.
Kleinedler photo by Jodi Hilton via Advocate; Gaga photo from ‘The View’; Adams photo by E. Shwartz via FastCompany; Cyrus tattoo photo via MTV
blog comments powered by Disqus