Legalize Obama love, gay uniforms, trans son
Moving video promotes free Legalize Love stickers with Obama “O,” pentagon OKs uniforms in Pride parade, Warren Beatty and Annette Bening’s transgender son, haters blame gays for “Dark Knight” massacre, bill to block military base gay weddings, “Vito” on HBO, and more LGBT headlines.
• Transgender son of Warren Beatty and Annette Bening speaks out. Stephen Ira Beatty (top photo), the 20-year-old trans son of the Hollywood A-listers, answers questions about his name, his transition support, changes he’d like to see in the world, and personal tidbits.
• Hate groups use “Dark Knight” massacre to vilify gays. Bigoted leader Bryan Fischer used Thursday’s Aurora, Colo., mass murder at the movie premiere to chow down on Chick-fil-A’s bad press. Fischer tweeted: “Chick-fil-A provides free meals to first responders in CO. Let’s see Big Gay demonize that.” Westboro wingnut Margie Phelps said the attack was a “direct result” of a Pride parade in Colorado last month.
• Mike Huckabee equates gay Boy Scout leaders with child molesters. Still living in the ‘50s, the Fox News commentator and former presidential candidate (second photo) drudged up the ancient and stupid argument in a fear-mongering discussion of the Scouts decision to keep its ban on openly gay members and leaders.
• Congressman tries to block gay military base weddings. A day after news broke of the first gay wedding on a U.S. base, Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) introduced a bill that would deny same-sex ceremonies at any military facility and bar chaplains from performing them. Yup, he’s using DOMA to justify it.
• HBO to air “Vito” documentary. The cinematic biography of late activist and “Celluloid Closet” writer Vito Russo (third photo) that moved Atlanta earlier this year goes national with a July 23 premiere. Read our interview with the director. Over on Showtime, “The Real L Word” returns.
• Troops can wear uniforms in Pride parade. For the first time, the Defense Department issued its approval for San Diego’s gay active-duty military members to march in Sunday’s parade in full uniform. No active-duty soldiers are allowed to appear in any parade wearing uniforms without approval.
• Straight Eagle Scout turns in his badge over gay ban. Lots of gay Scouts have done it too. Now journalist Martin Cizmar of Portland’s Williamette Weekly uses his notoriety to make his protest public.
• Catch up on the whole week in national LGBT news in our weekday Afternoon Headline Rambles.
• Free “Legalize Love” bumper stickers “stick up” for Obama. A moving video pushes the gay marriage site and the president’s re-election campaign with clips of Obama’s LGBT support mixed with everyday gay families. The group hopes to raise money with t-shirts, tank-tops and wrist bands with the “Obama O” (bottom photo) for gay voters, too. Watch:
Beatty and Legalize Love photos from YouTube; Huckabee photo via Advocate; Russo photo via MSNBC
blog comments powered by Disqus