Queen Latifah, gay in the NFL, DOMA ruling
Timeline of celebrity closet busters from “mega-outings” to off-the-cuff remarks, pro football players on gay teammates, yet another judge calls DOMA unconstitutional, petition to expand Dictionary.com “marriage” definition, and more LGBT headlines.
• Obama’s gay blitz: Next up, gay Republicans. After last week’s “evolution” on gay marriage, then talking gay on “The View,” and Thursday’s LGBT video love letter, the president’s re-election camp announced intent to secure gay votes “regardless of party affiliation.” Outgoing HRC President Joe Solmonese (top photo, left) heads up the campaign’s LGBT arm.
• No more drama: How gay celebrities come out. An interesting 35-year timeline of 12 coming out stories, from the media blitzes of Elton, k.d. lang and Ellen to the more casual mentions of today, including Ricky Martin, Matt Bomer and Tuesday’s matter-of-fact confirmation for those who haven’t been paying attention by “Big Bang Theory’s” Jim Parsons. Was Queen Latifah too subtle to be counted among them? (second photo)
• Another judge rules DOMA unconstitutional. A federal judge in California issued her ruling Thursday in the case of a group of California public employees whose same-sex partners were denied long-term benefits. Like other DOMA legal slams, the ruling is stayed pending appeal.
• NFL players come out for gay teammates. A dozen former and current players, including rookies Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, and Coby Fleener (third photo) tell Outsports they are all for openly gay players in the NFL.
• Petition urges Dictionary.com to correct “marriage” definition. More than 80,000 people have signed the online petition urging the go-to site for words to expand its definition of marriage to include same-sex couples. The current definition begins “A social institution under which man and woman…”
Food Network’s Anne Burrell “comes out” though she was never in. Current “Chopped” and former “Queer Eye” culinary guru Ted Allen told Sirius XM’s Derek & Romaine that the “Secrets of a Restaurant Chef” host is dating a woman. Her reps confirms but adds Burrell “doesn’t feel she was outed.”
• North Carolina county backs down, allows protest of “concentration camp” sermon. With the go-ahead, thousands are expected to protest Sunday after a video went viral of Charles Worley’s pulpit spew that gay men and lesbians should be rounded up behind an electrified fence.
Solmonese-Obama photo via HRC; Latifah photo from TruthQuake; NFL photos via Advocate; Burrell photo from Food Network
blog comments powered by Disqus