Rutgers verdict, gay ‘X-Men,’ Channing Tatum
Jurors find Tyler Clementi’s roommate guilty, “X-Men” comic gets gay mutant wedding, straight “Parks & Recreation” star loves Channing Tatum’s ass, SiriusXM tackles AIDS, Irish Queers excluded again from NYC St. Pat’s parade, and more LGBT headlines.
• Rutgers roommate guilty. After two weeks of testimony, a jury convicted Dharun Ravi (top photo) of invasion of privacy, the most-serious bias intimidation charges, witness tampering, and hindering arrest after training a webcam on Tyler Clementi’s date with a man days before Clementi’s suicide. He faces up to a 10-year sentence and possible deportation.
• LGBT North Carolinians march on capitol. The demonstration against writing a proposed ban into the state constitution wound its way to a rally of several hundred opponents of the amendment.
• Irish Queers to protest exclusion from New York’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade. The LGBT group (second photo) has been denied year after year. They’ll make a scene during the Manhattan procession again on Saturday.
• Donald Trump, Jr. used to wish every guy was gay. The mogul-in-waiting backs gay marriage and women’s rights, plus he says his chances with women are increased by every gay man who happens to be in the room.
• SiriusXM takes on gays and AIDS. The first in the five-part OutQ call-in series “SpeakOut: Real Talk About AIDS” airs Saturday at 9 a.m. It features an investigation into “the politics of mating” with experts, a look at the affect of Grindr and other hookup apps, and more.
• Gay wedding bells to chime in “X-Men.” Marvel has been pumping the nuptials due in the pages of its comic book stalwart in June. Speculation as to the as-yet-unnamed happy couple leans toward Northstar and his boyfriend (third photo). But even straight mutant marriages don’t go so well in the series.
• Archbishop of Canterbury steps down to gay cheers. Rowan Williams announces his resignation from a turbulent decade in church’s top spot a day after the government go-ahead to full marriage equality in Britain – against the archbishop’s very public wishes and a churchwide covenant that’s dividing his flock. Williams leaves office in December.
• Straight, married actor Adam Scott: Channing Tatum should ass-model. “[Tatum, bottom photo right] looks like he was sculpted out of ivory,” the ‘Parks & Recreation’ star (left) tells Details. “If they made casts of asses to sell at adult stores for people to have sex with, they would use his ass.” If they made them… apparently he is straight.
• “What would you do?” Mom berates transgender teen. Though ABC’s narrator of the popular segment calls the teen actor “the son” repeatedly in the set-up to see how regular folks will react—even though the teen identifies as a girl—unsuspecting diners do come to her defense. Watch:
• Catch up on the entire week’s worth of national news in our weekday afternoon headline rambles.
Ravi photo by AP; Irish Queers by New York Times; “X-Men” still from Marvel; Scott-Tatum photo via GayStar
blog comments powered by Disqus