Sharon Needles, FAMU charges, ‘Gay is Okay,’
How “RuPaul’s Drag Race” kept its winner secret, Adair Lion video raps support via MJ’s “Ben,” charges leveled in FAMU band hazing, Zach Wahls cements ally status, dumb hater posts video of his own anti-gay vandalism, and more LGBT headlines.
• 13 charged in FAMU hazing death of gay Atlantan. Mulitple criminal charges were leveled Wednesday in five separate cases built for the January beating death of university band member Robert Champion (top photo). Champion’s family says the hazing was anti-gay.
• Jackass films himself shooting marriage equality sign. Alex Wiles not only took a shotgun to his North Carolina neighbor’s “Vote Against Amendment One” yard sign against the state’s proposed gay marriage ban, he put video of his stupidity on YouTube. The video’s been scrubbed, but charges are pending.
• Washington governor makes it official, signs gay marriage law. Gov. Chris Gregoire (second photo) gathered LGBT leaders and supportive legislators on Monday for the celebratory final step in legalizing marriage equality in the state.
• Judge orders new trial over dismissed gay jurors. Nine marriage equality protestors are at the San Diego defense table. Two potential jurors were dismissed for being gay, so the judge scolded the prosecution and threw out the jury.
• Iowa YouTube phenom Zach Wahls extends his 15 minutes. With a new book about his two moms and a marriage equality dine out series, the young man (third photo) who went viral last year in an articulate speech to the Iowa legislature builds on his ally icon status.
• Rhode Island lawmakers mull proposal to legalize gay divorce. The state House Judiciary Committee holds a hearing Wednesday on a bill that would allow same-sex couples married in other states to split in Rhode Island. The state does not recognize same-sex unions.
• Sharon Needles’ real reaction to winning “RuPaul’s Drag Race.” A finale reaction was pre-recorded by all three finalists last week, so even they didn’t know who won until the episode aired. The actual winner (bottom photo) gave an acceptance speech after the screening: “This is the crown for anyone who ever got picked on when they were kids. This is 2012…The year of the fucking freak, ladies and gentlemen.” Click for more cast tidbits from the event.
• Rapper Adair Lion releases MJ-inspired “Gay is Okay” video. “It doesn’t just get better, it gets awesome, homie – what I mean is I just wanna see you blossom, homie.” The first single from Lion’s Michael Jackson tribute album samples the Jackson classic “Ben.” Watch:
Champion family photo; Gregoire photo by Seattle Times; Wahls photo via GayNet; Needles photo from Logo
blog comments powered by Disqus